CBD oil, CBD capsules, CBD liquid, and much more. Right now, everyone is talking about cannabidiol products, not only in the food industry but also in the medical and naturopathic fields.
We have compared several brands and present the most critical CBD products here.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD (or cannabidiol in the extended version), present in cannabis, is one of the active substances belonging to the family of cannabinoids. Its concentration in the plant Cannabis sativa represents 0.1 to 2.9% of the dry matter.
CBD is mainly present in cannabis seeds, which are also low in THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, a psychoactive substance). This makes it possible to extract, from these same seeds and the stem fibers, the CBD oil marketed in many countries of the planet because of its various virtues. On the other hand, the flowers are much more charged in THC.
The basic formula of the CBD molecule is C21H30O2. Cannabidiol has been used, particularly in the form of oil, for about two millennia. It is not a psychotropic drug but an early remedy used by humanity as a medicine for both humans and animals. Its qualities as a dietary supplement are also at the origin of its current popularity.
CBD Oil: What Are the Benefits?
Cattle breeders, in the previous centuries, used hemp abundantly to look after their animals. Also, they used its textile fibers, but again, when necessary, its therapeutic virtues – because it is too often forgotten. Still, plants, in general, are at the origin of most of today’s medicines!
CBD oil is generally particularly highlighted for its anti-inflammatory and relaxing virtues. It is also a source of relaxation, according to the “image of Épinal,” it benefits from and a means of fighting anxiety and stress.
The potency of cannabidiol makes it possible to lengthen the oil, which explains why several CBD concentrations are offered in the various products available on the market. These generally range from about 5 to 15%.
The specialist Brian F. Thomas, in the article “Cannabidiol as a Treatment for Seizures, Convulsions, and Epilepsy” (published in the book Cannabis sativa L. Botany and Biotechnology, Springer International Publishing, 2017), talks again about the relief of epilepsy, dystonia, autistic disorders, and schizophrenia. This list could be extended at length.
CBD is used in “official” medications such as Cannador® (German-designed and used in the treatment of symptoms of multiple sclerosis, anorexia, and various cancers), Sativex® (distributed in more than seventeen European countries), and Epidiolex® (approved, among others, by the FDA).
How Much Do CBD Products Cost?
The prices of CBD-based products may vary depending on their composition. This depends, of course, on the manufacturing process but also the concentration of cannabidiol.
For example, CBD oils with a 2% CBD content are much cheaper than those with a 20% CBD content. A CBD oil can quickly cost up to $180.
Many Products Based on CBD
There is, of course, an extensive range of CBD-based products. Unfortunately, we cannot provide an answer to the question “Which product is suitable for whom.” After all, every individual has his or her preferences.
Here is an overview of the essential cannabidiol products:
CBD oil is one of the most popular cannabidiol products. It consists of a CBD extract from the cannabis plant. In some cases, another base oil, such as olive oil or hemp oil, is added to the section.
Different levels of CBD concentration are found in different cannabidiol oils. For example, 2%, 5% or 15% are common concentration levels. However, there are also more concentrated oils with a CBD content of 30%.
CBD oil is often combined with other ingredients. As a result, you can benefit from the surrounding effect and the other ingredients’ benefits (other cannabinoids, flavonoids, terpenes, or fatty acids).
However, it should be noted that the THC content in these oils should not exceed 0.2%. Otherwise, CBD oil would not be marketable. You can find more information in our article on the legalization of CBD.
The consumption of CBD oil is relatively easy. It is best to put the oil directly under the tongue and let it melt a little before swallowing it. The CBD is thus absorbed very quickly by the oral mucosa. On the other hand, the oil can also be inhaled using a vaporizer or electronic cigarette.
Advantages of CBD Oil
- Individual dosing possible
- The faster effect due to absorption via the mucous membranes
- Broad-spectrum oil offering a surrounding effect
- Wide choice
Disadvantages Of CBD oil
- Everyone does not appreciate the taste.
- It does not act for very long.
You can also consume CBD in capsule form. In this case, the CBD oil is coated with an easily digestible capsule to form the CBD capsule. It is similar to other dietary supplements or tablets.
The capsules are generally vegan and gluten-free. CBD capsules can be consumed and dosed much more quickly than CBD oil or other CBD liquids. Swallow them.
Once in the stomach, the capsules are dissolved by stomach acid, and the body can ingest the oil. However, this advantage has the disadvantage that the effect on the intestinal wall and the liver metabolism is slightly prolonged.
The capsules are also available in different concentrations. For some manufacturers, the CBD content can even be as high as 50%. Beginners should choose a lower concentration at the beginning (about 10%).
Finally, the capsules are particularly suitable for those who do not like the smell or taste of CBD oil.
Advantages Of CBD Capsules
- Easier dosing
- Ideal for travel
- Neutral taste
- Ingestion is faster
- The effect may last longer (due to gastric absorption).
Disadvantages Of CBD Capsules
- Quantity not modifiable
- Effect occurring later
- Not suitable for people who do not like to swallow tablets.
Let’s not forget the CBD-based cream. It exists as a face and hand cream and many other variations. Creams based on CBD are useful for the treatment of skin conditions such as acne or inflammation. The cream can also be used for joint or bone pain.
To use it, apply the cream to the appropriate areas and leave it to work, and penetrate for a few minutes.
The Flowers Of CBD
CBD flowers are often called CBD herbs and attract attention because of their high concentration. They are dried flowers or buds of hemp plants, rich in CBD from the start and poor in THC.
By inhalation with a vaporizer, the active ingredients penetrate quickly into the body. Theoretically, CBD flowers can also be smoked. This is why they are similar to the classic use of marijuana.
Even though CBD herb – if the THC content is at most 0.2% – does not cause an intoxicating or psychoactive effect, the flowers are not marketable. They are illegal.
After all, flowers can be boiled in alcohol to increase their THC content. It is precise because of this risk of abuse that flowers are illegal. Therefore, buying them is strongly discouraged.
If you wish to inhale cannabidiol through a vaporizer or electronic cigarette, you should purchase liquid from the CBD. These are liquid preparations at the CBD containing, in addition to CBD, other ingredients such as propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin.
Liquids can be purchased in different concentrations of CBD (0.2% to 6%). For beginners, it is always recommended to start with a lower concentration.
The liquid with CBD is absorbed relatively quickly by evaporation and acts within a few minutes.
Advantages of The CBD Liquid
- Fast vaporization (can be consumed while walking)
- Toxins are better filtered.
Disadvantages of Liquid in CBD
- Preferable to pure smoking
- The taste can be chosen
They are the purest form of CBD. CBD crystals can have a CBD concentration of up to 99%. The THC content is often zero.
CBD crystals can be absorbed through different pathways. They can be taken either orally, by inhalation, or through food, and in the latter case, they can even be added to your cereal bowl or yogurt.
On the other hand, the small CBD crystals can also be dissolved in conventional oil (such as linseed oil, etc.).
Advantages of CBD crystals
- Maximum purity
- Very flexible gripping possibilities
- Dissolves in oil
Disadvantages of CBD crystals
- The delayed effect when mixed with food.
- Evaporation accessories required
The CBD Gummies
In addition to the entire selection of products seen above, we do not want to neglect the CBD Gummies under any circumstances. Yes, there are cannabidiol-based Gummies.
CBD Gummies have therapeutic potential. Moreover, the taste is not bad. However, since the active ingredients are only broken down and absorbed in the stomach, it may take some time (about 60 minutes) before an effect can be expected.
Other Foods with CBD
There are, of course, many other products containing CBD. The food industry, in particular, has been affected by the CBD boom. For example, you can find CBD lemonade in hemp stores or online. You do not forget chocolate with CBD.
Many other products are processed from a conventional hemp plant, such as hemp butter, hemp pesto, and hemp oil for cooking.
Other Cosmetic Products Based On CBD
Cosmetic products containing CBD would have an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effect. They are therefore used in particular for skin irritations and also help the skin.
According to a promising study, CBD should also be thriving in treating psoriasis.
In addition to creams based on CBD, there are also other cosmetic products based on CBD:
- Lip balm with CBD
- Anti-aging gel with CBD
- Body oil with CBD
- Bath salts with CBD
- CBD Hair Mask
Our Advice On CBD products
- Ingestion: You can consume CBD in different ways. Choose the one that suits you best. Of course, there is no universal solution.
- Which dose is right for you? : There is not an appropriate dose for everyone. Each person tolerates CBD differently and therefore needs an individual amount. We advise you to start with a small dose, as you can always increase it later. In most cases, the manufacturers also give dosage recommendations.
- Pay attention to the quality of the products: Quality is not always reflected in the purchase price, so you do not necessarily have to choose the most expensive product. But it doesn’t have to be the cheapest either. We recommend you be careful about the origin of the CBD and privilege the most famous brands.
- Think about why you want to consume CBD: You should drink a CBD product according to its benefits. For example, a cream with CBD will help you with skin problems or psoriasis, while oils and liquids with CBD are better suited for anxiety and sleep disorders.
- Experiences and customer reviews: Especially in a (still) relatively new and inexperienced field, it is advisable to read the experiences and opinions of customers carefully. These can contribute to a better understanding of the product and the theme. You can evaluate the side effects of certain products at the CBD. However, it would help if you kept in mind that CBD can have different effects on different people.
- Pay attention to THC’s value: This is a critical point when buying a CBD product. Indeed, you don’t want to get into trouble with the law. It is therefore essential that the THC content of a CBD-based product is less than 0.2%. Reputable manufacturers will always provide you with proof of this.